Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tomatoes, lemons, onions and Charlotte Cornfield

Charlotte Cornfield is this Canadian singer-songwriter I discovered through some blog, about a year ago, and just like that she became my favorite songwriter of 2012. It's gotten to the point I can't stop talking about her and feel compelled to mention her to everyone. But since it's the digital era and I'm more or less living like a recluse these days anyway, I thought I should do a post about her and conveniently kick some new life into the digital wasteland this blog turned into. Yesterday I had the chance to see her live for the first time. She's completely unknown around here and her and her French musician/friend/touring buddy played this tiny club in Liege which seemed huge since there were only seven people or so there, of which five were chatting the whole set through, while two - my girlfriend and i - were just completely jaw dropping awestruck by her amazing songs. Her lyrics and chord progressions sound deceptively natural but let me tell you they are some of the most refined and thoughtfully chosen, unequalled these days in my humble opinion (or maybe I should just look harder, suggestions are always welcome by the way). After the show we went up and said hello and bought some cd's. And even though she seems like the nicest and most humble person in the world I was actually kind of nervous the whole talk through, as if i was talking to my childhood hero. So yeah, maybe that explains it all. Here's an acoustic rendition of my latest favorite song of hers. We've got some tomatoes, lemons, onions and not to forget the amazing Charlotte Cornfield. I hope you'll be hearing a lot about her soon.

Charlotte Cornfield singing 'Harbord & Grace' at the local fruit market

No comments:

Post a Comment